Pumpkin Waffles with Cranberry Syrup.
Prep Time: 15 minutes , Cook Time: 30 minutes
1 1/2 cups (375ml) all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups (310ml) whole-wheat flour
1/4 cup (60ml) sugar
2 tsp. (10ml) baking powder
1 tsp. (5ml) baking soda
1 tsp. (5ml) allspice
1/2 tsp. (2ml) ground ginger
1 1/2 cups (375ml) lowfat buttermilk
1 tsp. (5ml) orange peel1/2 cup (125ml) orange juice
1 cup (250ml) cooked pumpkin puree*
1/2 cup (125ml) honey
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tbsp. (15ml) canola oil
1 tsp. (5ml) vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees. In a large bowl whisk together flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, allspice and ginger.
2. In medium bowl combine buttermilk, orange peel, juice, pumpkin, honey, eggs, oil and vanilla.
3. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture; whisk until smooth. Let waffle batter stand 5 minutes.
4. Cook waffle batter in waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions. Keep waffles warm on baking sheet in oven.
5. For Cranberry Syrup: In small saucepan combine 1/2 cup (125ml) cranberry juice, 1/4 cup (60ml) orange juice, 1 cup (250ml) cranberries, 1/4 cup (60ml) brown sugar, 1 tsp (5ml) grated orange peel and 1 tsp (5ml) ground cinnamon. Simmer until sugar dissolves and cranberries burst to thicken syrup. Serve warm syrup over waffles.
* For pumkin puree: Halve pumpkin; remove seeds and stringy insides. Microwave on HIGH 7 minutes per pound. Once cool enough to handle, scoop out flesh; puree or mash until smooth. For best results, allow puree to drain overnight. Canned puree can be substituted.