1 lb Italian Sausage 1 15 oz container ricotta cheese
6 oz. Rotinit or penne pasta 1 cp 4oz shredded mozzarella cheese
1 6oz can tomato paste 1 egg beaten
1 14.5 oz can italian diced tomatoes 2 tblsp italian seasoned bread crumbs
2 15oz. cans crushed tomatoes
1/2 tsp rosemary crushed 1 tbl spn melted butter (or Smart Balance)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. In a large skillet, brown sausage; drain off excess fat (and rinse for extra drainage!)
3. Stir in dry pasta, tomato paste, italian diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes and rosemary; heat through
4. Spread half mixture in the bottom of a 2 quart casserole.
5. In a small bowl combine the ricotta cheese, 1/2 cp mozzarella cheese and egg; spoon over tomato mixture.
6. Spread remaining sausage mixture on top
7. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes
8. Combine breadcrumbs and butter
9. Uncover casserole and sprinkle with remaining cheese and breadcrumbs
10 Bake and additional 5 minutes to melt the cheese
11. let stand 5 minutes before serving.
makes about 10 servings.
I usually buy my canned tomatoe products at the dollar store, about half the cost of at the grocery store even when on sale!
Store brand bread crumbs are fine.